Classified Ad Fraud
Security Notice - July 22, 2016
Goldenwest has received several reports of Classified Ad Fraud. Members are reminded to be cautious when buying or selling items online. The following red flags should be treated with extreme caution when completing a transaction:
- The buyer or seller claims to be out of the state or country.
- Buyer opts to pay with a money order or cashier’s check for more than the sale price. Generally, they will ask for the overage to be sent back through a wire or other online service.
- The buyer or seller asks for personal information that isn’t generally required for the type of transaction, such as SSN or Financial Account Information.
- Grammatical errors in the Ad.
- The Ad is “too good to be true.”
If you feel that someone is trying to involve you in Classified Ad Fraud or any other type of scam, you can ask a member service representative in our Contact Center by calling 1-800-283-4550.
How to Report Suspicious Activity
If you have received a suspicious e-mail or other fraudulent correspondence regarding Goldenwest Credit Union, please forward it to email@example.com.