Skimming Devices at ATMs
Security Notice - December 11, 2015
Goldenwest has received multiple alerts in regards to skimming devices at ATMs and fuel pumps. We advise all of our members to be cautious and aware of fraud attempts when making cash withdrawals or purchases at kiosk-type locations commonly found at fuel pumps, car washes, video rental boxes, post offices and other locations.
What is skimming? Skimming is the use of hidden electronics on an ATM or kiosk that accepts payment cards to steal personal information stored on a card. The skimming device records the card number and PIN to make fraudulent purchases or ATM withdrawals.
How to avoid skimming:
- Do not use any ATMs or kiosk with a card reader that appears to be altered, tampered with, or modified in any way.
- Protect your PIN.
- Hidden cameras are often used to steal your PIN. Covering the keyboard as you enter your PIN is a simple way to help avoid theft. Never share your PIN.
- Stay away from unfamiliar ATMs, fuel pumps and kiosks that accept payment cards.
- Review your account transactions frequently.
- Utilize the free mobile banking app or online branch to review real-time balances/transactions.
- Use Card Controls
- Temporarily disable/enable your Visa card with Card Controls on the mobile app.
How to Report Suspicious Activity
If you have received a suspicious e-mail or other fraudulent correspondence regarding Goldenwest Credit Union, please forward it to email@example.com.